SURVIVAL TIPS FOR THE IITIAN FRESHMAN
Hello dear freshmen. I know the feeling is overwhelming. I’ve been there. You get to be in the crowd, hundreds of students, tall and short, fat and skinny, this and that, etcetera and etcetera. I know, the school is the home of the diverse. IIT after all is the melting pot of different cultures and whatnot. Being a freshman student might be very difficult for you especially when you are not from Iligan (or even when you are from Iligan). So I kinda had this idea to make an updated version of the tips I wrote last year. I kinda realized that it needed to be updated since some of the tips are already not applicable to this modern world (Wow hahaha).
Anyway dear frosh, this list is just a list filled with survival tips. If you’re looking for tips on how to be a Summa Cum Laude, better not read this because you will not find it here (And if you are interested to know how, well, just consult your KASAMA handbook or the school handbook, it’s all there). What I am giving to you is a guide to surviving your first semester in your first year in college. Woah. COLLEGE. These are tips coming from a senior and someone who had already “been there and done that” kind of person. I’ve been through the embarrassing and humiliating phases in college life and believe me, you will get over it and YOU WILL SURVIVE. HAHA.
I know that this introduction portion is already getting long and I know you want to go over to the tips already. But before anything else, all I want you to know dear frosh, is that in whatever circumstance you will be facing, don’t you ever ever ever give up. You will survive.
SURVIVAL TIPS FOR THE INCOMING IITIAN FRESHMAN
- Always wear your I.D. If kapuyan ka you can take it off, but make sure pag-abot nimo sa may exit sa guardhouse kay nakataod na sya balik or whenever you see a security guard. AND, dapat discrete pagkataod ug balik, ayaw pag panic kay masakpan ka. HAHA
- Ayaw ibutang ang I.D sa bulsa. Dili na sya nice na style intawon, plus, madakpan kas guard, luoy ka.
- Sit at the first row. Much better kanang front view jud sa teacher. Daghan jud kag maginansya ana (na laway. Joke.) Advantage ang front row front seat especially kung ikaw ang klase na tao na dali ra ma-distract.
- Gamay rag gwapo na estudyante sa IIT. Gwapo na teachers nuon, daghan.
- According to my friend, ayaw jud pag lovelife during your college life kay lisud na pag mag THESIS naka kay mudaghan ang imung i-include sa acknowledgements, kalas ug space. Ex. Special thanks to my beh. (yaks kayo diba?) HAHA
- Dili lugar ang TBA.
- Don’t make sipsip sa teachers kay dili na mutalab, labaw na sa CSM.
- Kung muagi kas Himantayon Avenue, ayaw paso like a model kay tutukan jud ka. If normal raka mulakaw, tutukan japon ka. Ayaw nalang agi..(If possible, panghulam kang Harry Potter sa iyang cloak of invisibility)
- Dapat naa kay back-up files sa imu USB kay kung magpa-print ka sa school—andam nalang sa pinakagamhanan na VIRUS. Klase-klaseng virus makuha (TROJAN, FLU, CHLAMYDIA, CHICKEN POX, UBO AT SIPON, ETC.)
- Labhi pirmi imung I.D chord kay pagmulagum, yuck. Ew. (it means, yuta-an ka)
- If you’re an English major, ayaw ka shock if mag-inenglish imo classmates sa imo on your first day. (Abi pud ana nila Englishera ka, haha) But if you’re shy when talking in English, you make tawa nalang and speak conyo.
- Ayaw himu-a ug sabaw ang gravy sa MCDO. Too much cholesterol, mamatay kag sayo.
- Don’t eat too much fastfood food. Exercise din paminsan minsan, ayaw sigeg atubang sa laptop.
- Don’t bring a whole yellow pad paper kay mahimo kang Educational store ana (If magdala ka, you make tago it in your bag) Just bring 5 pieces or you buy the tulo piso over the store.
- Don’t sleep in the library kay maulawan jud ka. (Ang uban musulod ra kay magpa-aircon, LUH)
- Respect your teachers. I know some teachers kay murag ka-age ra nato tan-awon, and some are really really young teachers, but know that teachers are teachers, and you are A STUDENT. Know your place.
- Usahay ra ang gwapo sa IIT. (If ever nay gwapo, siguraduha na dili pud gwapo iya ganahan)
- Kung niwang ka sa first year, mutambok ka pagka 4th year. Kung tambok ka first year, niwang ka pagka fourth year. (this is so true T____T HUHU)
- Walay uniform sa IIT, unless nursing ka or HRM, or IT, or CED. I-ready na daan ang mga sanina, laba everyday my friend.
- Pwede ra balikon ang pants mga 3 times, wala ray makabantay ana. (or ten times, depende rana sa imong pagdala, ayaw pahalata, daghan man sad gain-ana)
- Girls: dili na uso magpakuyog sa CR.
- Ayawg kalibang sa IIT kay nay possibility dili ma-flush
- Kung dili najud mapugngan, didto pag CR sa COE kay ilang CR kay center of EXCELLENCE.
- If mabagsak kag Math 17, ayaw ambak sa overpass. Kaon nalag icecream sa McDo, tag P15 ra.
- Maanad kag lakaw ikaw ra isa, unless FC ka.
- Dili tanan ga-eyeglasses genius, OA lang jud ang uban. (or stylish, o diba)
- Ayaw palit ug daghan na notebooks, nay chance isa ray ma gamit.
- If wala kay friends, okay rana. Dili pa end of the world.
- Dili na uso ang pamahaw ug tulog. Pero paningkamote na makakaon jud ka.
- COFFEE IS YOUR BESTFRIEND.
- Wala nay card para sa grades sa IIT. Makita na nimu imu grades online. Wala nay meet the parents, so safe naka. Unless, teacher imung mama, goodluck! Mas una pa sya makabalo kaysa imu.
- Ayaw padala/pa-intimidate sa mga “Sikat” kay dili na sila sikat, ga damgo rana. :D
- Ayaw pagbasa pag mag report, INTAWON college na intawon ka.
- Ayaw jud ug shift, unless necessary or advice to shift na.
- Ang pag pronounce sa CBAA kay SEE-BEE-AAH-AAH, dili SEE BEE AY.
- To those who are not from Iligan and are living in boarding houses and pads and apartments: BUY A RICE COOKER. According to a very reliable source (my dear friend zlm), rice cooker can be your bestfriend in times of trouble. You can cook noodles, eggs, rice, and etc using the rice cooker. Such a lifesaver indeed.
- Buy a RELIABLE DEODORANT. PLEASE DEAR FROSH. If you can’t afford to buy any deodorant, just buy TAWAS because it’s much cheaper. Personal Hygiene is important my friend, to be labeled as the “bahog ilok” by the backstabbers can be very very damaging. HAHA. But if you prefer your “suka/anghit scent” because you just like it that way, then be my guest. I don’t want to tell you I told you so.
- Reserve a portion of your money for photocopying expenses. Almost every subject demands photocopying because…I don’t know. It’s just the way it is. Haha I’m joking, it’s because some teachers use other references aside from textbooks. So set aside at least 10 pesos a day (or twenty, you’ll never know) just for your XEROX duties. If teachers won’t distribute anything to photocopy for that day, then good for you, extra money for snacks.
- Kung bored ka, adto sa MUSEUM sa CSM kay bugnaw kayo didto, mas bugnaw pas imong ref.
- Kung muadto kag CED, agi sa CSM para LANDONG.
- Ayaw pag-tsinelas kay dili beach ang school (and dili pud ka pasudlon sa guard)
- Memorize na daan ang VISION ug Mission sa IIT kay basin plus points na sa test.
- Memorize pud ang full name sa teacher kay mao na ang pirmi bonus sa test.
- Always bring your COR. You might need it in times of trouble (Especially pag nabilin imong ID)
- Love your course
- Love your school
Welcome to IIT!